Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Blog Post #9

States - An important decision I made this year is to stay positive

What I Learned This Year(2008-09)

This blog by Mr. McClung was written his first year teaching. I think him blogging about what he learned his first year is a very great idea because it allows other upcoming teachers to see and imagine what it is like their first year. I have always been intrigued by people doing things for the first time and he learned a lot his first year. He learned to stay positive number one. he also learned that lessons are never perfect! You always have to prepare for things, but if it doesn't work like you expected, change and don't beat yourself up over it; move on. Another critical tool I believe be learned is to never forget the real reason you decided to teach and that is the students comprehension of the material. Be reasonable and don't expect so much from your students. What I mean by that is when you set goals for your students, you set them up for disappointment. Instead, create activities and such that helps them learn and ask them and get them motivated to know what they have learned.

Also, Mr. McClung discusses communication in the workplace and with your students. I completely agree! Communication can go a lot further than sitting back and not saying anything. Students NEED feedback on what they are doing both right and wrong! Teachers communicating among each other also helps when you need help from another teacher or another teacher needs help from you! Everyone has something they need help with so why avoid it because you can't communicate?

When your in your classroom, there is always room for you to learn things. You always want to listen to your students too because you never know what you can learn from them as well! Listening to your students can also have a big impact on them! Students want you to listen to them, it gives them a closer relationship with their teacher. Mr. McClung really helped me and inspired me! I though I knew what to do when it came to being a teacher, but I realized real quick there is many underlying things lingering around that you need to know as a teacher to be a good teacher and always be positive.

3 comments:

  1. Hey Melissa,
    It looks like we identified some similar points from Mr. McClung's posts. I really like how excited and determined you seem to shake things off and just constantly evolve. I think you made some excellent points. The only suggestion I can offer is one I am also addressing is proofread and grammar. None of the mistakes were really major, but other than that...Keep on moving and shaking!

    Anna Shartzer

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Melissa,

    I totally agree with you, saying Mr. McClung had great incite in the beginning of his first year of teaching. You seem to be able review a blog and pull out all of the great points and use them to you're advantage to be a more beneficial and understanding teacher, towards the students. You have to listen to the students and you also have to make sure you are being positive and not setting them up for failure as you said. Great points made Melissa, keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Melissa,

    I am glad that you can review these assignments so fully. However there are a couple of concerns. One, ALT and TITLE modifiers. Where are they? Why aren't they there yet? The semester is almost over, and these small particulars WILL EFFECT your final review. I am begging you - for your sake - FIX THIS ASAP.

    Two, please watch your grammatical errors. For example, in your sentence:
    "I realized real quick there is many underlying things lingering around that you need to know as a teacher to be a good teacher and always be positive."

    There are a few issues I would like to bring to your attention. First, "real quick." Please, never say or write that again, it sounds like slang! A better form would be to say that you "quickly realized." Second, "there is." "There" is best paired with a plural verb because of the word "things" (plural) you placed later in the sentence. Last, the sentence is generally a bit wordy, confusing and sounds like a run-on. I am not trying to embarrass you or call you out, I just want to make sure that you do not make these mistakes later on in the program when they cause serious point deductions! =)

    Thanks - you are almost done!

    Rebekah Lloyd

    ReplyDelete